Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Sideways -- condescending and contemptuous

I suppose this is my way of trying to get people to go see Sideways for themselves, without listening to critical hyperbole (two critic friends already named it their favorite of the year). There's a great discussion going on at Slate's annual movie club. Great quote from Salon's Charles Taylor:

I don't know how you can watch the scene in Sideways where that fat waitress Church sleeps with has sex with her trucker husband without being bowled over by the contempt coming off the screen. A friend of mine gave the most generous reading of that sequence. He said he felt it showed the sexual openness of their marriage that the husband can respond to her infidelity as a turn-on. Believe me, if I thought the movie said that, I'd trumpet it, because American movies in general are so moralistic about sex. But for that reading to work you'd have to shoot these two people as something other than two more piles of debris in that trashed and trashy house. You'd have to get close to them, which is exactly what Payne, repelled by their fat, will not do.

0 comments :