Monday, May 02, 2005

Revenge of Alec Guinness

In the second volume of his droll memoir A Positively Final Appearance, Sir Alec Guinness has more than a few darts to throw at fans who presume to impress the former Obi-Wan Kenobi with their knowledge of all things Star Wars. For one, he's not having it ("I shrivel inside each time it is mentioned"). Note this hilarious exchange between him, a boy of twelve so besotted with Star Wars that he's seen it a hundred times, and his indulgent mother:

"I would love you to do something for me," I said.
"Anything! Anything!" the boy said rapturously.
"You won't like what I'mm going to ask you to do," I said.
"anything, sir, anything!"
"Well," I said, "do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?"
He burst into tears. His mother drew himself up to an immense height. "What a dreadful thing to say to a child!" she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.

0 comments :