Friday, November 04, 2005

The end of gay culture = it's about time

This recent essay by Andrew Sullivan takes for granted that gayness is a culture, rather than (perhaps?) a construct created by like-minded sexual iconoclasts looking for solace. Since the icons and argot of gay culture have no totemic value for me -- I'm a member of the generation, after all, that grew up in the wake of the sacrifices made by his -- I am more inclined to not just accept but revel in the confounding of sexual divisions which the Internet and the so-fucking-what attitude of the next generation (like my students) have wrought, both of which have been genuine palliatives. Sullivan:

Slowly but unmistakably, gay culture is ending. You see it beyond the poignant transformation of P-town: on the streets of the big cities, on university campuses, in the suburbs where gay couples have settled, and in the entrails of the Internet. In fact, it is beginning to dawn on many that the very concept of gay culture may one day disappear altogether. By that, I do not mean that homosexual men and lesbians will not exist--or that they won't create a community of sorts and a culture that sets them in some ways apart. I mean simply that what encompasses gay culture itself will expand into such a diverse set of subcultures that "gayness" alone will cease to tell you very much about any individual. The distinction between gay and straight culture will become so blurred, so fractured, and so intermingled that it may become more helpful not to examine them separately at all.
I can only say, as he comes to each wistful, reductive conclusion, "AMEN!"

By the way, I command my fellow sodomists to respond if they disagree with my conclousions.

PS: Kudos on the Pet Shop Boys epigraph.

0 comments :