Monday, November 27, 2006

I'm Not Even Gonna Mention "Kingdom Come"

I've vowed to myself innumerable times to never "grow up" or "sufficiently mature" to the point where I no longer enjoy rap music as much as I should. Within the past year or two, however, I've frequently had reason to suspect that such a metamorphosis has unwittingly taken place, and the only thing restoring me is the hopeful thought that hip-hop might just be in the midst of a remarkable fallow period.

Of course, the collective ball-washing being given to recent rap albums ranging in quality from "pretty good" to "meh" is probably a good sign that my hypothesis (which I'm certainly not the first to have expressed) may be correct. Ian Cohen offers a typically withering critique of the Clipse hivemind on his blog, though I think he hedges his bets a bit by ultimately giving the album satisfactory marks when he fails to really give credit to the group for the good qualities (quality?) they do possess.

Basically, Clipse are very good at exactly one kind of pose (streetwise, brand-conscious, unmoved) and they actually do it so well that "Hell Hath No Fury" is undoubtedly a solidly worthwhile release. Still, it doesn't change the fact that they've got about as much breadth as a greeting card. Pusha T and Malice are both blessed with the ability to effortlessly exude badass-edness every time they exhale, a trait certain other rappers (Lil Wayne, Bubba Sparxxx, Petey Pablo) will likely never boast no matter how much more gifted they may or may not be as artists. But as poor a year (or two) as it's been for hip-hop, doing one thing very well apparently excuses the fact that they don't even really try to do anything else.

Sorta like how the Game's fascinatingly constructed persona excuses the fact that he still pretty much sucks as an emcee. I'm very forgiving towards backstory and supra-musical shit informing music in general, and I think it can often forgive a multitude of sins, but Eminem and Madonna still wrote and recorded some excellent fucking songs and made some absolutely brilliant aesthetic choices. The Game, meanwhile, is someone blessed with terrific beats who finally has something interesting to say, but still doesn't know how to say it.

If "More Fish" ends up being my second-favorite rap album of '06, I officially give up.

0 comments :