Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Something New



As promised earlier... It seems the kids over at FIU have joined forces with the kids over at the University of Miami and Miami-Dade College to start a new magazine. The way Robert, the humanaties editor describes it is:

Basically, the magazine is about topics that are interesting to the College student.
Some of the sections are:

The Humanities: (My section. I deal with Arts, culture, and topics like religion and philosophy. I do reviews of interesting arts events around the Miami area, book reviews, T.V. reviews, and upcoming movie reviews. The section also deals with Fiction/Poetry/Prose.)

Spit it Out UM, MDC, and FIU: (Deals with upcoming events in each of the campuses, gossip, and anything directly related to each university)

Hot Spots: (Cool places to visit. Mostly underground, undiscovered places which Backslash wants to bring attention to)

Fashion: (Deals with trends)

The Who: (features interesting persons that have something to do with the universities)

Politics: (Deals with Politics or events somehow related to)

The Future: (Has to do with neat technological advances that a reader might be interested in reading about. Such as bionic parts or melanin pills that are meant to give a supposed natural-artificial tan)

These are only some of the already outlined sections. Still, the magazine is evolving until the specific mood that we envision is established. What the Backslash staff see is a magazine that is slick and humorous, informative and exciting.

I've looked around at the on-line content and some of it is pretty good and some of it is horribly written. It seems that the zine is still trying to find its identity, and once they do, I'm sure it will be something that can last for years to come.

I remember as a young Beaconite (well, I wasn't really a Beaconite. I brought beer around the office, late night production nights, and then I wrote some horrible opinion pieces for both Brad and Andy), there was constant talk of doing something like this-- I guess the only way to get the money was for three universities to combine forces.

Take a look around the on-line content, and the print version should be out in January, I believe. Also, keep in mind that the magazine is still trying to find its voice and is still young and from what I've seen, still needs a little work. Nonetheless some interesting stuff, I mean, they are publishing the Chuck Palahniuk review I wrote (below), after all.

0 comments :