Sunday, January 20, 2008

¿Mama, que será lo que tiene el negro?




It seems Andy has forgotten he owns a blog. This is an e-mail he sent me, and I thought it was interesting:

"The American election, according to Spain's El mundo:

"Yo voto por Hillary porque va a hacer más por los hispanos y va a
solucionar la cuestión migratoria", confesó Gerardo. "Del 'moreno' leí
su biografía y no me gustan sus raíces musulmanas. Nosotros no tenemos
nada que ver con eso".

Mariana Fuentes, 53 años, protestó enérgicamente en cuanto vio a Bill
Clinton haciendo campaña en la entrada del 'caucus'. "Le di la mano
por pura cortesía, pero está bien de vagabundear por aquí", protestó.
"Ya hemos decidido a quien votar y no necesitamos que vengan a
comprarnos. Yo voto por el moreno porque es buen hombre y pasó más
hambre".

Translation:
I will vote for Hillary because she is going to do more for hispanics and will solve the immigration question," confessed Gerardo. "I read the "moreno's" biography, and I didn't like his Muslim background (connections? -- keep in mind I am not a professional translator). We have nothing to do with that.

Mariana Fuentes, 53, protested energetically when she saw Bill Clinton campaigning in the caucus. "I shook his hand out of courtesy, but he is welcomed to wander around here (again, probably not the best translation). "We have decided who we are going to vote for, and we don't need him coming by to try and buy us. I will vote for "el moreno" because he is a good man and has suffered hunger."

...I don't like the black one's Muslim roots, but I do like that he has
experienced hunger. ¿Mama, que será lo que tiene el negro?"

In response to Gerardo: Where is he getting that "el moreno" is Muslim? This report has been proven false for quite some time now. Just look here or here

And well... I'll leave it up to you to make some comments about that second comment. And what is it with these Spainards calling Obama "the black one"? Can't they just use his name?

0 comments :