Sunday, July 03, 2005

Sleater Kinney does Atlanta

So Atlanta was a lot of fun. Sleater Kinney's fierce performance proved that, even in support of an unspectacular album, they're the best live act extant. The setlist included almost all of The Woods, plus a smattering of older material, the oldest of which was an extended version of "Dig Me Out" they're so fond of lately. Doing the admirable feat of seeming motionless while her inimitable yodel pirouetted of its own accord, Corin Tucker made the sanctimony of "Entertain," well, if not entertaining, as compelling as "Jumpers" and "Wilderness." Janet Weiss' drumming matched her, swinging like Charlie Watts with the ferocity of Keith Moon. Carrie Brownstein's sidewinder riffs coiled ever more tightly, even when her guitar was out of tune during "Oh!"

Sidenote: my pals and I spotted Corin and Carrie munching salad at the Brewhouse Cafe. Our gawking was rewarded when Carrie chased our waitress into the restaurant, coming within 12 feet of our table. I waved and said, "Good luck." Carrie flashed a small grin, mumbled thanks, and rejoined Corin, who by this time had slapped on a widebrimmed hat and sunglasses.

A short while later, walking to a rather awful lesbian bookstore, we bumped into a glum Janet Weiss sitting on the curb, with a mobile phone.

Finally, a salute to fellow Stylus writer Josh Love, whom I finally met at the show. My one regret is that I didn't get to hang out with him and his girlfriend some more. That way I could have heard more compliments about my new Roxy Music T-shirt.

0 comments :