Monday, May 22, 2006

All the windmills in Holland

I'm ambivalent about lots of Frank Kogan's ideas (I hope to explain why when I finally get around to writing the review) but he's a damn fine miniaturist, and such an active listener that even a seemingly coruscating review reads like praise because his attention to surface is almost ascetic in its intensity. My oatmeal went out my nose upon reading this review of Whitney's "I Will Always Love You" found in Real Punks Don't Wear Black (apologies to Whitney fan Thomas:

I talked in Radio On #2 about her animal competence,' but really thre's no animal in it, it's more lke a jet engine preening and showing its pats. Which can be powerful enough. She kind of loses control about two-thirds of the way through this song, however – it's the section in the video where the camera moves in close and she smiles bright and meaninglessly and opens her mouth and lets loose while the camera pulls back again and you can see her now sitting in a chair in the snow (?) wearing noting but a thin suit jacket. And from there on she's just blaring away, trying to power all the windmills in Holland, and the song disappears in the whoosh.

0 comments :