Tuesday, April 17, 2007

At Idolator Matos runs through the four worst Billboard Top Ten Singles charts of the Seventies. I regret that I can't remember which of the four finalists I voted for; maybe it was November 18, 1978, which happens to be the date on which I turned four. Yes, Rob Sheffield is quite correct to support "Hot Child In the City"; and I heard Exile's "Kiss You All Over" on the bus last week, the aural equivalent of having a bearded guy blow in your ear (I do remember stumping for "Listen To What The Man Said").

Here's the worst: December 15, 1979. :

1. Styx, "Babe" (A&M)
2. Commodores, "Still" (Motown)
3. K.C. & the Sunshine Band, "Please Don't Go" (T.K.)
4. Rupert Holmes, "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" (MCA)
5. Stevie Wonder, "Send One Your Love" (Motown)
6. Barbra Streisand & Donna Summer, "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)" (Columbia/Casablanca)
7. J.D. Souther, "You're Only Lonely" (Columbia)
8. The Captain & Tennille, "Do That to Me One More Time" (Casablanca)
9. Eagles, "Heartache Tonight" (Asylum)
10. Supertramp, "Take the Long Way Home" (A&M)
I DO like "Please Don't Go" and "Send One Your Love" more than the other voters, especially the sincerity-that-passeth-understanding with which Wayne Casey wrings sentiment from doggerel.

0 comments :