Friday, July 27, 2007

It's a blog off

Yep. There's a nice brouhaha going down between Rick at Stuck on the Palmetto and the fanatics over at Babalu Blog--which I don't link to because I care about your brain cells--over Rebecca Wakefield's interview. I don't totally agree with Rick on Oscar Corral. I think he gives him too much credit for standing up "the goons and bullies that slink through the back alleys of Little Havana." That is his job, and while Oscar deserves credit for other things, that is not exactly one of them.

Plus, the characterization is something of the cultural stereotype Oscar does a decent job of debunking in his reporting. I know plenty of people who live in Little Havana who find the stuff on the extremist right-wing, Cuban-American blogs and radio stations just as offensive as the rest of rational world.

I am also uncomfortable with the fact that Rebecca Wakefield runs with that whole wide-eyed reporter talking point. Oscar might think the Herald is a "fortress of truth", but there's a daily section in the paper called "Corrections and Clarifications" which begs to differ.

But let's face it, compared to the egotistical, delusional nostalgia and reactionary politics that go down at Babalu, Rick's post sounds like Cartesian logic to me.

0 comments :