Friday, March 30, 2007

Still a Terrible Name

It took a while to dig in to "Ys". After one too many recommendations I went to the store and got it, and I simply thought it lacked. The combat was symplistic, and dungeon design repetitive. I wasn't sure what the hype was all about.



Right, so I took it back to FYE and tried to sell it back to the clerk, who after listening to my rant, told me maybe my friends were referring to something else.



I know, it's virtually impossible to look at that Ren Fair cover without bursting into laughter. No amount of critical acclaim can salvage THAT.

The thing about Joanna Newsom is that she provokes a radical split in your brain functions, with two sides simultaneously thinking thoughts that are opposite and yet true.

Side 1: "This is brilliance, poetry of the highest order, a musical journey to a richly imagined alternate universe unlike anything else, not only one of the best albums in recent years but in all of musical history."

Side 2: "I'm listening to a demented nerd girl with a harp whining out 10 minute songs about monkeys dancing with bears. Dear God, strike me down with a meteor, a meteorite, a meteroid, whichever, just make it all end."

0 comments :