Tuesday, February 20, 2007

From the Just Heard On the Muzak Station file...

Bronski Beat's "Smalltown Boy," quietly thumping at a Publix supermarket. I must say: it's the most adventurous re-contexualization I've heard in weeks. Think about it: is there any place less likely to inspire loneliness than a suburban supermarket? The meat counter, wine aisle, and the dairy lane with my beloved Manchego cheese remind me of why the accumulation of peripheral consumer goods is great fun if you can afford it; and that Karl Marx is a lot more fun to read than his crabby post-graduate acolytes (it also reminds me of how Edmund Wilson's portrait of Marx in To The Finland Station is the masterpiece of portraiture that his own fiction didn't approximate). The ghosts of Poly Styrene and Jonathan Richman would understand.

0 comments :