Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Jukebox Unabridged

Alfred beat me to the punch as far as referencing the steamrolling excellence of the Stylus Singles Jukebox. All Saints' kinetic new corker is up for analysis, and here's the full extent of what I had to say:

I admit I haven't really kept up with these girls since they taught my Anglo-ignorant ass that for British people the alphabet runs right from "A" to "Zed," but this song's an absolute blast, doing all the kinetic, dynamic things we adore Girls Aloud for doing, possibly doing them better. By far the most interesting line is the offhand admission "acting like I'm a teen," a striking reminder that All Saints may age but their audience largely doesn't. Doubtlessly most of their fans know of no other way to act.
[9]

As far as I know, I think only one of my blurbs just flat-out didn't make the cut, so here's a quick pisstake on The View's "Same Jeans" fwiw:

Sounds like the Libertines if you replaced Pete Doherty with one of the Proclaimers. Admirably peppy but thoroughly tame. Hope they’re not aiming to conquer the States either, ‘cause I can tell ‘em right now it ain’t happening without a name change. Nope, nothing says “teenage hijinks” like sharing a band name with a menopausal morning TV program. They may as well have dubbed themselves The Regis and Kelly Band.
[5]

I thought about posting all the comments I sent to P&J that didn't get posted. I may still do it, but spending my time trying furiously to keep up with the Stylus Jukebox makes all that stuff feel so last year.

0 comments :