Thursday, May 24, 2007

en España

I'm going to be in Seville for the next six weeks taking classes on EU law and Spanish constitutional law at the university here. I hope to post about these subjects in between tapas y tintos.

The Spanish seem very excited about the EU and are completely committed to its growth. (This is not exactly common throughout Europe; I experienced almost the opposite in Eastern Europe over the winter.) The proposal for a European constitution, for example, passed with a very wide margin over here, before it was defeated in France and the Netherlands. Especially among the professors, there is a palpable sense that they understand the importance of what they're doing, and its significant historical role. This is their late 1700's.

I'm exhausted and I want to go sample more Spanish wine, but I'll be posting some more soon. I'll leave you with a picture of me at the local Irish pub.


I'm coming to the conclusion that no matter where you are in the world, there is never an Irish pub, or an Irishman, too far from you.

0 comments :