Wednesday, May 30, 2007

"We build a shield and somebody will build a better missile."

News like this reminds me that, sometimes, it seemed like The West Wing had the answer to some of the major political questions of our time.

"I'm pushing you toward the missile shield, cause I think it works," Leo tells the President.
"Based on what," President Bartlet asks him.
"Confidence. And the understanding that there's been a time in the evolution of everything that works when it didn't work."
Later the President asks Lord Marbury, "Where are you on the missile shield."
"Well, I think it's dangerous, illegal, fiscally irresponsible, technologically unsound, and a threat to all people everywhere. . . ."
"I think the world invented a nuclear weapon," Leo responds, "and I think the world owes it to itself to see if they can't invent something that would make it irelevant."
"Well that's the right sentiment," Lord Marbury tells him, "and certainly a credible one from a man who's fought in a war. You think you can make it stop? Well, you can't. We build a shield and somebody will build a better missile."
"Well," says the President, "it's a discussion for serious men. They say a statesman is a politician who's been dead for 15 years. I'd like us to be statesmen while we are still alive."
Damn, I miss that show.

0 comments :