Monday, June 19, 2006

The atrocity of an essentialist quiz

This makes me irate.--a completely essentialistic (and thus irrational and sexist) quiz that rates your brain's gender. Here's what I got:




Your Brain is 47% Female, 53% Male



Your brain is a healthy mix of male and female

You are both sensitive and savvy

Rational and reasonable, you tend to keep level headed

But you also tend to wear your heart on your sleeve



So, essentially, according to this quiz, sensitiveness is a female attribute and rationality is a male attribute; wearing my heart on my sleeve is, I take it, another female attribute.

I realize it's a quiz, and thus something to be taken lightly, but as the great Monique Wittig has said, "Language casts sheaves of reality upon the social body," and through the language and outrageous implications this quiz makes, it blatantly perpetuates [sexist] gender stereotypes detrimental to the psychological evolution of our culture.

0 comments :