Saturday, June 24, 2006

First Off, They're Lesbians



Have you heard the fantastic Tegan and Sara yet? If you haven't, you may be missing out on one of today's best indie/folk bands.

But I have brought them up because of something I recently read. Please take a look at this brief review (the first one under "Editorial Reviews") on Amazon.com about their latest LP, So Jealous (2004), and tell me what jumps out at you.

Here's what jumped out at me: the reviewer states that Tegan and Sara are "destined for hugeness." Agreed. At the same time, before that, the reviewer apparently felt the need to provide the reader with a caveat of sorts: Tegan and Sara are identical twin lesbians. Now don't you forget! the author seems to be telling us.

When did musicians' sexual orientation become so significant that it must be mentioned prior to the merits of the very music these musicians are responsible for? I was never a George Michael fan, say, but was his homosexuality brought up in reviews before the writers got to the point? Please educate me on this.

0 comments :