Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Craziness

A brief triple post from Memphis, home to some of the world's best barbeque spots and, (not a coincidence) fat Elvis. One: I want an explanation for the sort of craziness that allowed the following change to take place in an adjoining restaurant table during lunch.
"You know what gnaws at me? Pedophiles... It's so horrible- How could someone even think to hurt an innocent child?" Nods all around. "I don't understand why God doesn't just send AIDS to kill them, like he did for the faggots."
Just the sort of deadly conversational leap that would be accompanied by a record scratch on a sitcom but in reality is only answered by... more nods all around.
I think the whole of my sociopolitical frustrations always come to this childish whine:
Why are people so MEAN?
Two: I wish I'd had a camera to capture the sign outside Memphis' First Methodist Curch, because this week's sermon has a very (unintentionally) amusing theme:
"Jesus is the Guide for the Blind."
Hmmmm...
Let's think about that one long and hard.
Three: David Gilmour's "On an Island" merits a second listen- or a first, if you're like most people. You won't even notice that Roger Waters is elsewhere, politicking.

0 comments :