Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Gone a'gay-marryin

By now I'm sure we've all heard about yesterday's same-sex marriage ruling in California.

In the interest of obtaining both sides to every story (and poking fun at the crazies), I visited the site of the one of the groups opposed to the ruling, The Campaign for California Families, and came across this fascinating tid-bit from California Senator Bill Morrow (R-Oceanside):

Contrary to the judge's twisted legal logic, this is not an equal protection case. Every adult Californian already has equal access to marriage as provided by law, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation. Instead, this actually is the establishment of a completely new privilege that never existed before.
I'm sorry. Did I miss something? Is he seriously arguing the state already gave equal access to marriage regardless of sexual orientation? I can't help but be reminded of a response I once read to The Onion's "What do you think?" section: "I suppose it's okay for to homosexuals marry--so long as they don't marry each other of course."

0 comments :